- Design and create a practical small garden in a 4m x 4m space
- Include rainwater harvesting and timed watering facilities
- Plant with cool, calming colours with a focal point water feature
- Provide year round interest with conifers and evergreen shrubs
- Use stepped patio areas to create height and a small dining area
Services: Ideas Consultancy and Full Design, Project Management and Planting
This Gold Medal winning show garden was built at the National Gardening Show in the Student Garden category*. The design challenge was to create a practical and usable garden for a small garden space of 4m by 4m. The design included three interlocking circular patios, increasing in height to create the feeling of space, a small area for entertaining and dining, a water feature and a rainwater harvesting facility using a water butt collecting water from the roof of the property.
The garden was planted with a flowering Cherry tree with an upright shape suitable for a very small garden space and included evergreen shrubs, grasses and plants which reinforced the water themed garden. This incorporated flower and foliage colour and shapes of ‘rain droplet’ type flowers and foliage colour. Plants included blue ‘fountain shaped’ grasses such as Festuca glauca, blue flowering plants such as Verbena bonariensis, Centaurea, raindrop shaped flower heads including Allium ‘Purple Sensation’ and blue-green conifers such as Juniperus communis.
*This garden was designed in conjunction with Gary Couzens