“Why would a man hack his way into the
Amazon jungle …. in search of a new colour of Orchid
for a back garden in Surrey
(Michael Palin: 2012)
This talk takes a look at:
- The development of plant hunting from the 16th Century to the current day
- The emergence of professional plant hunters in the 19th Century
- Specific dangers and problems faced by six notable plant hunters
- An eccentric Victorian spinster who joined the plant hunting elite
- The dangers of plant hunting in the 21st Century – kidnapping by AK47 wielding South American bandits.
This talk explores the development of plant hunting through history, including accidental discoveries, self-funded amateur expeditions and professional plant hunting for commercial gain. The specifics of some of the trials and tribulations faced by a group of selected individuals, including an artistic, eccentric Victorian spinster will be reviewed and will conclude with a look at some of the plant introductions we would prefer had been left in situ. The talk lasts between 50 – 60 minutes depending on the amount of questions asked and is a new talk for gardening groups and societies.
“I think your new talk on Plant Hunters would be
very interesting to our members : East Mendip
have highly recommended you“
(Wells Gardening Club, Somerset)
Request a PDF of all my available talks and testimonials
Please click on the link to request a copy of my Speaker CV and details of my ‘short notice speaker services’ for local clubs and societies. This includes a summary of all of the talks I currently have available and my current fees and testimonials from clubs and societies that I have recently spoken to.
If you would like to book a talk, or would like additional information please contact me, email me at the address shown below or call me on my landline or my mobile number.
Back to my Available Talks.